They say that stepmoms spend way too much time thinking about their husband’s ex wife. I find I spend way too much time thinking about all things stepfamily related, such as:
* should I be doing something else to help my stepkids adjust?
* should I be extending more olive branches to my husband’s ex wife so the children can see we don’t hate each other?
* should I be supporting my husband more?
* should I be planning more family events to help solidify our blending process?
* should I be creating new rituals for our family so we blend more?
*what should I do???
I can be pretty good at convincing myself that if I just do more, if I’m a better stepmom, then my family will be more healthily adjusted. My husband will have less conflict in his life. My stepkids will have less loyalty conflict. We will all be one big happy blended family when I wave my magic Stepmom wand! I convince myself that I have control over this whole thing…if I could just do more. And then my sinful little well-intentioned heart realizes, that God is in control, not me. Sometimes I stop and realize that all of my “doing” is getting in the way of God’s doing. And maybe all of my “doing” and my busyness is because I’m not trusting Him enough.
Today I’m stopping and resting in His promises. I’m really believing that He is in control, that He has good plans, and that He is taking care of us all.
Matthew 11:28 (NIV): Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Psalm 46:10 (NIV): Be still, and know that I am God.
Psalm 91:4a (NIV): He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.
I’m thankful that He is in control, not me. Today I will rest in this.
What are you thankful for today?